Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Its been a few days...

Heather and Colleen left for San Francisco Monday afternoon, after toast and coffee on The Lanai, culminating a weekend of cooking, eating, and a little bit of Singstar.

After the reunion brunch, the three Kings and one Derrig went to Sunshine Market to provision for what would become an epic culinary adventure.  An incomplete list must include: local smoked trout and grilled corn filled ravioli with a sage and butter sauce, build your own turkey Reubens, an heirloom tomato and blue cheese tart, 2 kinds of ice cream (Saffron/Rose and Apricot/Raspberry), grilled flatbread with hummus, grilled eggplant and corn...     

Heather was amazing in the kitchen.  I knew it was going to be fun when I asked her if 8 eggs were enough and she gave this, "Hell no." kind of response.  We ended up using nearly 3 dozen over the 2 nights she and Colleen were here together.  I've been aware of Heather's food savantery from the times years ago that she and Colleen would come to my Mom's and my house to make christmas cookies; I remember her making ganache (which I looked at as a dark (he he) art at the time) for some chocolate cookies she was working on without batting an eyelash.  Over the course of the weekend, she would get up off the couch and say something like: "I'm going to just throw together this souffle." 

I've not needed a dinner much larger than cheese and crackers since the weekend.  


1 comment:

mchughtie said...

We ate How Many eggs? No wonder I can't zip my jeans. Ah well, it was a wonder to behold, this compulsion and talent my sister and almost brother have in the kitchen, the glazed and maniacal look they both have standing in the vestibule of the grocery store. It was a special little slice of time, punctuated by the ridiculously hedonistic and detailed menu of delights. I only wish that Heather and Jay could now come to Gambia and let me feed them from bush leaves and peanuts, teasing what tastiness I can from the randomest of parts. Thanks for this whole summer Jay, and its culmination in your kitchen.